Monday, January 19, 2015

CAS(E) This Sketch! #106

I've reached a point with my crafting supplies where I need to rethink some of my storage, so too much of my time in the office has been spent trying to decide which direction to go. Do I stay with storing by manufacturer or go with themes? I toyed with the idea of an inventory of sentiments, but to be honest, it is an overwhelming task so I keep walking away from it. Any advice, suggestions, etc., would be welcome :)

The real problem with spending time in the office, is I get distracted from the task and start playing with the stuff I'm supposed to be organizing. The sketch from  CAS(E) This Sketch #106 was on my mind this afternoon and led to this card.




The MFT High Rise Alphabet X and O are cut three times from a red panel and popped up on the Soft Stone card base. 




The left panel is embossed with a Paper Studio heart embossing folder. This folder has a horizontal orientation and I finally figured out how to emboss a longer panel without flattening a portion of the panel (and yes, I may be the last one out there to work this out, but thought I would share anyway).

This is what my first attempt looked like, with a row of flattened hearts.



I slipped a new panel in the embossing folder for the first run through my Big Shot and it came out looking like this.



Before the second run through the Big Shot, the bottom two rows of embossed hearts were fit into the folder, slipping perfectly into place. I then lined up the cutting plates the same way I do when making a partial die cut, so the edge of the embossing folder isn't caught between the plates.




The final result was a perfectly embossed vertical panel.

Thanks for stopping by,

Jacquie





13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the tip Jacquie! I haven't figured it out yet before you showed me how... so you're NOT the last ;)
    Your card is so WOW! Love the bold red against the perfectly embossed white BG!
    Thanks for sharing at CTS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your card. As a thought on storage for your stamps, I ended up seperating all my stamps into themes, words into themses as well. Now I have full advantage when I want to do something I can look at all I have ie all my butterflies instead of going through the stamp sets and wasting precious time. Also made up some amazing sets of little fillers that seem to come with so many stamp sets. Have all my words done the same way so can look at all my thanks or hellos etc together. BUT of course if you use a real mix of tamps like I do the problem becomes when you try to remember where they are from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very smart. This is so striking Jacquie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! You are so clever! I love how you figured out how to make it work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your card and thanks so much for the tutorial, I did not have that one figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally why I have found it easier to emboss a panel instead of the card, Jacquie... you've got this one down! It helps that the mfg. has configured the hearts on your folder in a landscape fashion... but I don't think that it would fit through my Cuttlebug... hmmm. I still keep my stamps in their original packaging and sorted by company. I know, old school... but I do appreciate knowing who made them in order to give credit where due without making labels. TMI?
    =] Michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW... LOVE your card.. wishing I had those alpha dies!!!
    =] M

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah for figuring out how to do the embossing, Jacquie - very clever!!!!!
    Love that heart EF and the red panel is so striking and beautiful ...and absolutely perfect for the sketch, hey!!! Lovely card, Jacquie!!
    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this totally makes me smile! I love your fabulous take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a fabulous card. And, great idea for the embossing. I am starting to organize more by theme rather than by company. I am liking it very much so far, and am finding it much easier to find what I am looking for. I also keep a sentiment binder, which is kind of a pain to make, but I use it every time, so I guess it's worth it. You should come by some time and I'll show you my stuff. (and we can play with it all too.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is FABulous, Jacquie!! I saw this on FB and had to come over. It's so delish with all those puffy white hearts and lipstick red kisses and hugs!! Thank you for the how-to!! You know I arrange by color and theme because it works best for my very simple, rather ADD mind! Good luck with the reorg and have fun!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is a super card, Jacquie! Love the embossing (and tfs your trick), and completely adore the "XO" panel!! Very cool. I copied Ardyth and Anita's organization to a degree. I bought the AE sleeves, and add the matching dies to the sleeve when there are dies. I still keep it by manufacturer, but that's because I like the 'families' to stay together, lol! Talk to Ardyth; she's got it down to a science. Bev

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take time to comment - thank you!