Friday, July 20, 2012

Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge 163

I have become familiar with Karen Giron through her work on the My Favorite Things and Taylored Expressions Design Teams. Although I regularly checked out her blog through MFT and TE, I only realized recently she has a Sketch Challenge. After checking the sketches out for a few weeks, I've decided to play along.

All the details for the current challenge, Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge 163 (SSSC163), are here including the sketch:





And here is my card:




I did switch things up a bit, using the MFT Well Worn Greetings die to anchor the sentiment and provide a base for this sweet a la Mode girl to stand.

All the papers are from the Indie Chic Citron designer paper pad from My Mind's Eye.

I tried cutting a few different flowers, but wasn't happy with any of them. The paper floss was already wrapped around the bottom panel - this is just a natural tan that I colored with a Copic marker (BG18) - when I played around with an idea I'd seen on Pinterest last week.




I had seen a pin for making twine flowers that linked back to a blog called The Bug Bytes. You can check out the tutorial for yourself, but it is a simple "old" technique made new again. A few of my friends remember making yarn flowers with the same technique back in their brownie/girl scouts days (you know, some time in last century).

The paper floss I used is a lot stiffer than twine or embroidery floss, but it gave me the exact flower I wanted for my card. I know the color on the paper floss isn't perfect - I thought about touching it up after the flower was made, but actually like the rustic feel of the uneven coloring.

Thanks for letting me play along with SSSC163 and thanks for stopping by,

Jacquie


5 comments:

  1. Love your card! Love the papers you put together and the paper piecing too. Thank you for the link of the how to for your flower. Yours is so pretty. I will have to pick up pins and a needle and give it a try sometime. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great card Jacquie, I love how your twine flower turned out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacquie, this is awesome! Love that ALA! Haven't inked her up in quite some time. Thanks for the inspiration to do so soon! LOL!
    Your flower turned out beautifully! Brilliant idea to colour it with a copic!
    Thanks for playing along with the SSSC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turned out GREAT! But, last century? How could you "out" us like that?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacquie this is so fun! I just love the flower that you made too! I am going to check this out!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take time to comment - thank you!