Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Make It Monday #73 Stamping on Patterned Paper

When I saw the Make It Monday challenge at Papertrey Ink was to stamp on patterned paper (you can check out Ashley Cannon Newell's video here), I knew right away I wanted to redo a card I did for their sketch challenge a while back.

This is the card I made tonight:




Does it look familiar?



A few people asked how I did this card, so I took a few photos along the way tonight.

My first challenge is always which papers to use and what color card base. The designer papers are from My Mind's Eye Indie Chic Nutmeg paper pad and the cardstock is an orphan piece that falls into the bluey/green/gray color category.




The cardstock really did have an odd sheen to it, so I am not sure where it came from. The flower pattern is easy to work with, but I knew I would have to pay attention when using and cutting the chevron pattern to keep it lined up the right way.

My first step was to cut the circles - I have the Spellbinders Nestabilities sets and cut cardstock only in the 3 1/4" and 2 3/8" size and then one circle from each piece of paper in the 3" and 2 1/8" size die.




The finished card will be 4 1/4 x 5 1/2", so I cut a base piece of the flowered paper to 4 x 5 1/4".

On this base, I centered a 1 1/2 x 5 1/4" piece of cardstock with a 11/4 x 5 1/4" piece of the chevron paper centered on it.




I used my awesome Tim Holtz Idea-ology ruler to center and mark the second biggest cardstock circle (3") so it is lined up with the outside cardstock edge.




I mark the cut lines on each side of the circle, connect with a pencil line and trim along these lines with my exacto knife.

The larger chevron circle is left whole and the larger flower circle is lined up and trimmed to match the edges of the center chevron panel.




I repeat the same steps with the smaller circles, only this time the flower piece is left whole and the chevron is trimmed.

You can see above the outer pencil lines are made by lining the circle with the already trimmed cardstock. My Idea-ology ruler makes it super simple to add another line 1/8" in from the first one - this is my cut line.




Here are all the pieces lined up in order for assembly - the trimmed circles are the same length, but trimmed 1/4" narrower (for a 1/8" border on each side).




This is a little fiddly, but not high on the technical difficulty scale - I'd love to hear if someone else has a more efficient way of putting these layers together.

I decided to ink all my edges this time, but am not really thrilled with the final look - I might try again and play around with only inking some edges.

I am pretty pleased with the line on my chevron pieces - the flow through isn't perfect, but at least they are all going in the same direction!

I hope you have something fun planned for the 4th of July - we are taking a little day trip and plan for an early start tomorrow. It gets interesting when members of the household define early - for dear husband it would be no later than 7 am, I think 8 would be fine and the dear teens define early as being ready to leave by 11 {ha}.

Thanks for stopping by,

Jacquie


9 comments:

  1. Stunning card and design; thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is great and great tutorial!! I love that design!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie; Your card and tutorial are wonderful! I even love the ink outlined shapes; they add to the intrigue of how your effect is achieved. (A very talented artist friend of mine once said, "Do one thing to every piece of art you create that leaves the viewer wondering how you did 'that'.").

    Thank you for all the labor to do the tutorial. It's not very easy to give written instructions for that, and you did a great job! I can hardly wait to try one of my own.

    Thanks for sharing and have a great 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Thank you for sharing the layout...your tutorial and all the pictures are so well done. Great card! and thank you for your kind comments about my card...colleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do so rock. Tell me again why you are not teaching us techniques every month at club??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!! Thanks for the tutorial...I would never have figured it out otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial. I do remember that card, and love it in these papers, too. You make it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is beautiful, great technique thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool paper piecing! I think you had a lot of fun making this set!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take time to comment - thank you!