Saturday, July 21, 2012

CAS-ual Friday 62 Back in Black

This is my second attempt at a CAS-ual Friday Challenge - for more information, check out their blog here.

CFC62 is Back in Black: Create a Clean and Simple card using a black card base.

cfc62


My first thought was to stamp and emboss on black, but I discovered another hole in my craft supplies. I have very few colored embossing powders and the ones I do have are darker colors that just don't show well on the black base.

This is my finished card:




The black paper was reflecting a lot of light and I must have taken 25 photos before getting one I was happy with.

I did end up embossing with Tim Holtz Distress embossing powder and Distress Inks. I haven't pulled these out for a long time, so it was fun to play with them again.

Trying to work quickly is not always a good idea with multiple open embossing powders!




Yes, I poured the Spiced Marmalade embossing powder into the Scattered Straw container {sigh}. I stared at it for a moment, then grabbed a spoon and pulled out as much of the orange as I could, taking quite a bit of the yellow with it. There might be a few specks of orange I missed, but, hey - this is distress embossing powder and it will only enhance the distressed look (at least that's what I've told myself).

In the end I used the "damaged" embossing powder for my card and the yellow definitey dominated.

I stamped and embossed all the images together. The sentiment is from My Favorite Things (Let's Toast) and the butterflies are Hero Art. 

This close-up shows how distinct and distressed an image you get with the Tim Holtz product.



Once the image is cool, it is rubbed gently to release small crystals.

Thanks for stopping by,

Jacquie

6 comments:

  1. This turned out gorgeous!! I think the "damaged" embossing powder really makes it! Great job capturing the shimmeriness (word?!), your photo efforts paid off! Thanks for playing along with us this week at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have NEVER poured the wrong color into a container, or put the wrong color dauber into an ink pad, or put a stamp covered with black ink into a yellow pad....nope, never...

    I love the butterflies on the dark background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty and dramatic card. I could totally see myself doing exactly what you did with your EP, only with me, it would be black and clear! If you ever feel like driving down the coast, you are welcome to come over and cut as many hexagons you want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This IS gorgeous! I like the distressed look and think you may just have improved it with your little mess up:) Thanks for playing along with CAS-ual Fridays this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool CAS card! And so sparkly!! :) It's only now that I got to take a look at your blog, so thank you for your kind comment btw!
    Best wishes from Heidelberg :)
    Nina

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take time to comment - thank you!