Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Freshly Made Sketches #577

 Welcome to Freshly Made Sketches #577!


I was already thinking about Easter when I saw the trio of circles in the fabulous Judy Rozema's sketch this week, so it became a decision on whether I was going with bunnies or eggs in my design. As you can see, eggs won out. 

We celebrate Greek Orthodox Easter so I wanted to highlight the red eggs that are always part of the day.





A piece of glossy paper was colored with alcohol inks and Distress stains to get the deep red color and the shine of the finished eggs polished with olive oil. The Poppystamps Egg Cetera die is cut several times and my three favorites added to an oval plate stamped with the PTI Simply Spring Borders sentiment.




Finding the dye for red eggs is challenging, especially if there is a big gap between western Easter and orthodox Easter, and I don't really want to buy a set of dye colors just to get the red so a few years ago I explored options for natural dyes. To my surprise, boiling eggs with yellow onion skins leave us with the perfect red. I've already started saving the skins for this year.


  


I hope you check out the amazing Clean Team designs and play along with us at Freshly Made Sketches this year!

Thanks for stopping by,

Jacquie






5 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic Easter card! I love those red eggs! Perfect for Greek Orthodox Easter! I also cannot believe that if you boil eggs in onion skins you get red eggs. My mind is blown! I kinda just want to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Jen, my mind is blown with the onion skins = red eggs thing. Science is a wonderful thing for sure! As is your card - that red is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep can't believe you get red from onion skins?!?!?! Who knew?!?!? Love the rich color you got on your card eggs as well! Striking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those red eggs are so perfect for the sketch! What a great card. And I love that you can get the red from a natural source. And what a pretty red it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Easter card, Jacquie! The bright colors are striking! I love this deep red popping againts the bright blue.

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take time to comment - thank you!