Friday, April 19, 2013

Tuesday Trigger: Wake-up Call

I have two cards to share today - both for the Tuesday Trigger at Moxie Fab World. I love everything about the retro, clean graphic style of this poster, including the sentiment. Late afternoon I might go for a chai tea, but most of the time coffee is my drink of choice and absolutely, definitely to start the day.


For the first card I stayed close to the original design and played around with various dies to get the look I wanted. It is the time of year to build up a stash of teacher appropriate thank you cards and this is a great one to deliver a coffee gift card.




Because only the negative of the "you" die cut was used on this card, I made a second card.



The Trigger photo inspired the use of the polka dot paper and color palette. 

For this card I finally played with the partial die cut technique I've seen a couple of places around the blogosphere in the last few weeks. I first saw it used by Joyce at Cards-by-the Sea and she directed us to Laura Bassen's tutorial at the Hero Arts blog.  Seeing this card today by Kelly Griglione, and the fact I had a little time to play around, prompted me to give it a try.

This is something I will definitely do again and is easier than it looks! My biggest tip is to have a sharp blade on your exacto knife for the cuts between letters.

Thanks for stopping by,

Jacquie

11 comments:

  1. Dear Jacquie, both of these are just phenomenal! I love all of the details in the first and the clean and fresh approach to them both!
    Thank you so much for visiting my blog and the heads up on the wrong linking. I'll still don't know what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both amazing cards--so different, so fantastic, and both tie back so well to the original inspirational photo. I was shocked to see my name as an inspiration for the partial die cutting. I was looking at your card and wondering how the heck you did it! Then, I clicked over and remembered my card--gosh--this A.G.E. thing is playing tricks on my memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I had to give you credit Joyce, otherwise I wouldn't have seen Laura's tutorial. I've been playing around with some of my word dies like you used on your card.

      Delete
  3. both fabulous card. I love those litlle steam swirls on the first card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great. Especially love the first one and how it looks so much like the trigger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both cards are wonderful, so fresh and clean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your steam coming out of the coffee, Jacquie, and then how you repeated it in your sentiment panel! Very clever. And YAY, so glad you played around with the die cut letters, isn't it fun?!? You did REALLY well with getting them all straight, that's hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Jacquie! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of your cards are so perfectly matched to the TT , Jacquie! I love them both~these colors (and of course polka dots) make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. fabulous cards! i love your take on the trigger! the polka dot mug is awesome...and your partial diecutting is perfectly done!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take time to comment - thank you!