Saturday, August 23, 2014

Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge #14 & RIC #66 + Case Study 4th Anniversary Week #3


One of the reasons we drove to Vancouver this summer was to bring back a few pieces of artwork from my parents house that was sold last winter. I've been slowing figuring out where everything is going to go and motivated to complete a couple of projects that have been swirling around in my head for a while.

When I saw Challenge #14 Button It Up at the Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog, it was the final push I needed to create this monogram piece that I think will end up in the front hall.




The design is super simple, with the four initials planned on graph paper before using 3 strands of  black embroidery floss to cross stitch them onto the piece of aida cloth. Each initial is 2 x 2.5 inches. A large "s" printed on computer paper provided a guide for laying out the buttons.




I'm not a fan of "naked" buttons and planned to tie them with red jute. Most of the first layer is sewn onto the aida cloth, but I ran out of jute and ended up glueing on the rest.




I misread the dimensions of the black frame, ending up with a finished piece  3/4" shorter than the opening (11.25 x 15.25). I decided that I would pick up a black grosgrain ribbon, but in the mean time wanted to see how it looked, so added a piece of washi tape to the top and bottom. I kind of like how it - what do you think?

While I was waiting for the adhesive to dry on the button monogram piece, I made this quick one layer card inspired by a couple of challenges. The photo for the Runway Inspired Challenge #66 started me thinking of a design that flowed from the back of the card to the front, echoing the flowers on the dress. 





Then I saw Cristina Kowalczyk's card while on the Blog Hop for the CASE Study Challenge, where they are in Week 3 of their 4th Anniversary celebration, with an image flowing from the back of the card to the front :)





Starting on the top center of the open card base, the outline floral images from Painted Flowers were stamped and then colored with Copic markers. I love the loose scribbly feel of the coloring and finished the card with Label Love sentiment.




I ♥︎ the Painted Flowers stamp set.




In other news, I coached my first soccer game today. Not because I wanted to, but because the substitute coach was a no show & I was the only parent that had security clearance. Either I coached or the boys forfeited?! It might not have been pretty, but at this age (U17), the boys know what to do and won it for me.

Thanks for stopping by,

Jacquie







16 comments:

  1. Love your monogram with the red buttons. So happy you were able to finish this project, good luck with the others. Thanks for sharing with Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! Perfect for both challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like that black and white stripe accenting the top and bottom of your fabulous button monogram, Jacquie. I also like your painted flowers. I saw that card of Christina's and love that you followed her example of putting part of the stamping on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the monogram with the red buttons..so pretty! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...I love your first piece and all those fabulous red buttons, just amazing and truly a work of art. Your cards are just as fabulous and I love how you carried the stamps to the back side, simply brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two very pretty cards I love the card you made for case study. Thanks for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous button monogram! Gorgeous card! And you gave me a giggle about the launch of your coaching career! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning, and imaginative and absolutely fabulous! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge 14: Button it Up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Talk about some gorgeous buttons! I love this piece and cross stitch too! Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great take on Cristina's card! I love all of those lovely flowers! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at the Runway Inspired Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous card Jacquie! Love how the design carries on from the back to the front - works so well with that cluster of flowers! Thanks for sharing with us at the Runway Inspired Challenge ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jacquie! Your card beckoned from the line-up! Lovely job with these fabulous flowers. I've yet to open my package yet... That back of card trick is pretty fab--nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous projects...love the button initial and gorgeous card. Thanks for joining us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my word! This is fantastic. I love that you STITCHED and that you tried to sew all the buttons! You should have called me...I have a spool of that red jute! Anyway, this is a fantastic use of the challenge! I love it and cannot wait to see it in person! Thanks for playing along this week at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No naked buttons!! Good work getting them all dressed and put together in such an amazing project! It's beautiful and will look gorgeous when hung!! Thanks for sharing your style and hoard with us at Craft Hoarders Anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The way your flowers extend to the back of the card is just lovely! Thanks so much for joining us on the Runway!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take time to comment - thank you!