Tuesday, April 22, 2014

CASE Study Design Team Call Challenge + MFW Hip on Handwriting Challenge

The CASE Study Challenge Blog is one of my favorites in the card making world. With a new Muse every month and a new card to CASE every week, I try to play along regularly. Chupa is adding to the Design Team and I've decided to throw my hat in the ring!

The Design Team Call Challenge is to pick someone I look up to in the crafting world, share the inspiration piece and my take on it. I was a Donna Mikasa fan before she was honored as the CASE Study January 2014 Muse and she continues to produce beautiful cards I want to CASE.

Stencils are very big in the crafting world right now and Donna found a new way to use hers with an inked panel and water stencil stamping. It is no surprise that the card was a winner in the Moxie Fab World Styling with Stencils challenge and Donna provided a photo tutorial on this post to demonstrate the technique.




I made a couple of cards using this technique. This first one uses three Distress Inks (Picked Raspberry, Mustard Seed and Peacock Feather) to create the rainbow panel. Because the pieces of this Kite stencil are so thin, I held it under the tap for a moment before placing it on the inked panel. A paper towel was laid over the stencil and then the whole thing was brayered to ensure even pressure and transfer of the image.




Once the panel was dry, I used several My Favorite Things stamps to create the sentiment with Versafine Onyx ink. Clear Wink of Stella adds a touch of glitter to the words.




I've really been drawn to cool blues & greens lately, so used those colors on this second card. The "happy" from Papertrey Ink's Wet Paint stamp set was clear embossed on the panel before inking it with Tumbled Glass, Mowed Lawn and Peacock Feather distress inks. 




A wet Artist Cellar Ripples stencil is pressed onto the panel to remove some of the ink and transfer the stencil image. Once the panel was dry, the clear embossing is ironed off and the "birthday" sentiment stamped to overlap the "happy".




The panel edges are curved to mimic the movement of the stenciled ripples and the sentiment panel popped up with foam adhesive.

My Monet loving heart is very happy with the Impressionist feel of this card!

This second card is being linked to the Moxie Fab World Hip on Handwriting Challenge.

Thanks for stopping by,

Jacquie

14 comments:

  1. How gorgeous! I must try this technique! The blue/green one reminds me of a ripply pond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, such a cool technique and mastered to perfection! Your cards are nothing short of dazzling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So bright and fabulous! Love both of your cards, and what an amazing technique. I'm thinking you might just have made the DT with these beauties! Gorgeous. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the first card, but the watercolor-y-ness of that second one just made me happy! I wish you the best with the DT call. You would be perfect for that team!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of these, Jacquie, and I hope you make it into the CASE STudy team. You would be such a fantastic addition to their team.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, Jacquie!
    Goodness graciouss! Both of these are cards are so, so awesome!
    Love all the color... and love the words too!

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Jacquie! I've been wanting to try this ever since I saw Donna's post....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness Jaquie these are amazing, love the BG u created :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jacquie! Thank you for your kind words and for the shout out, too. I'm thrilled that you CASE'd the water stencil technique. LOVE how your cards turned out and I especially love the last one. Good luck with the CASE Study DT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous cards- love distress inks. Best wishes for the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Jacquie, these cards are so fabulous. I love the technique and you did it beautifully. I think they would be lucky to have you on the Design team.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These cards turned out beautifully...I especially love the last one! I've been wanting to try Donna's technique ever since I saw her card. Wishing you luck...you'd be awesome!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take time to comment - thank you!