Friday, August 23, 2013

Tuesday Trigger: Now That's My Cup of Tea! + CASE Study #154 + Ink Inventory

I was a little stuck when I saw the current Tuesday Trigger: Now That's My Cup of Tea! at Moxie Fab World. The imagine is crisp & clean and pretty, but I have a very small collection of flower stamps and none seem to feel right for this challenge, so had to put on my thinking cap for a day or two. While I thought, I decided to tackle an organizing chore I have wanted to hit for a loooong time. If you want to read/see what I did, stick around after the card details.



This card idea came to me at about 4:30 this morning (minor hijack: back to school has done a real number on my sleep this year. I am so paranoid about sleeping in that I am waking super, super early) after checking out the CASE Study Challenge #154. Jennifer McGuire is the muse and her CASE of her card includes a die cut in lay technique. Head over to the challenge blog and you will see what I mean.




My card combines the overlapping die cut and die cut in lay techniques.




I started with the smallest flower, nestling the patterned paper die cut into a space die cut out of the white cardstock. I then die cut the larger flower, overlapping and cutting off part of the smaller flower.




The flowers were easy, but the red flourish proved a bit of a challenge as there were many little pieces I had to keep track of and place back into the panel.




A large oval die gave the nice, curved shape to the white panel and it is adhered to a shimmer cardstock base to echo the saucer in the Trigger image. A few more die cuts are clustered around the sentiment.


Ink Color Charts 

Like many (most?) stampers, I have a variety of inks from various companies. Years ago I printed an Distress Ink Chart from Ranger (you can find it here) and have used it regularly to choose ink colors. For some reason, I have never done this for my other inks, so found myself continuously testing colors to find the right shade.

My Distress Ink Chart was a little worse for wear, and a few inks not listed have been added, so I decided to print out a new chart.




Who would have thought I only have half of the available colors (hahaha)? Then I started wondering if other manufactures offered a similar chart for their inks.

After a little searching I found a Memento chart at Ellen Hutson.




Nina Yang at Waffleflower also has a Memento Chart plus a few more: VersaMagic, Brilliance, Fresh Ink and a wonderful generic chart that I used for some Papertrey Ink and My Favorite Things.




My Distress Inks are the only ones stored separately, along with sponges for blending and a few Distress Embossing powder. I love how these inks stack so nicely!




Most of the other inks share a couple of drawers and are divided by color. This is the drawer of colors, the other one is neutrals. Oh dear, I think I can stop buying blues for a while.




After finding a few duplicates in my Memento collection, I took photos of the color charts so that I have them on my phone and easily accessible when I am out shopping.

My next goal is to index my stamp collection - I didn't even know I had the cute little triangle that I used on these charts until a week or so ago. It is one of those little extra stamps that I often forget about - this one is from Paper Smooches. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks for stopping by,

Jacquie

19 comments:

  1. WOW! Your card design is so striking. The clean bold shapes and colors....all completely perfect.
    Thanks for ink chart info. I love how you have organised your inks into colors rather than manufacturers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, Jacquie, what a stunning card! Love how you inlaid the pieces, and that blue is such a great contrast. Speaking of colors, I am so GREEN with envy seeing all the inks you have! I really need to go on a shopping spree. What a great reference tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacque what a GORGEOUS AND FANTASTIC card my dear! Great take on the trigger too! And your ink post is wonderful! I have this task on my craft room to do list and you have already helped me tremendously! So thank you! And like Kelly I too have ink-envy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops....I didn't catch my iPad changing the spelling from "Jacquie" to "Jacque"! Sorry! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! This is a great interpretation of of the trigger. How did you do this?!?! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative use of die cut and colors, Jacquie!! It's such a cheerful and happy card! So glad that you stopped by my blog today! Hope to see more of your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your CASE card with the overlapping dies and ink organisation. A chart is a fab idea, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card - looks like you are looking down into the cup - just wonderful and soooo creative!
    I love how you organized your stamps - those drawers - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the inlaid flowers! Thanks for playing along at CASE Study this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacque, your card is gorgeous with the inlaid pieces! I have seen the technique before but yours looks truly amazing. I really need to play around with this technique now that I have seen what you have done with it. Also I should make up a color chart especially for my distress inks since I have so many and I use them on most of my projects. It would be so much easier to pick the right color the first time by having the samples handy in a chart. Going right now to print one now. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Jacquie! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea to index your inks. I did something similar years ago, but have not kept it updated, and I organized it more by color than by manufacturer. I do keep a sentiment binder where I have indexed all of my sentiments. It's not perfect, but I do find it incredibly helpful. I am only 1 pile of new stamp sets behind, so that is not too bad for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I index my ink (as you have by manufacturer, but store by color), punches, and stamps (by category). If you are interested in my template for stamps I would be happy to send you my Excel file. I sest up pages for 4 stamp sets, 3 stamp sets, and (for the large stamps or collections) 2 stamp sets per page.

    The only suggestion I have for you that has helped me out is to put an asterisk by any ink for which you purchased a reinker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The asterisk is a great idea for reinkers. I'd love your Excel file too - as you can see I do not believe in reinventing the wheel if someone has already done the work for me :) my email is jjsouthas at yahoo dot com. thanks!!

      Delete
  13. Oh wow! This is awesome! Love the colors!!! And your organizing is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing, Jacquie! I still need to make a chart like this for myself. I, too, always have to "test" my colors to find the right shade:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jacquie, what wonderful diecut layers you had on your card! A very unique approach to the Tuesday Trigger! Love how you did with the ink color charts! Love that the ink pads and sponges fit so nicely in your drawer! I can relate to the blue ink collection - I love blues and greens, just love! :) Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card. Technique newbie, me, didn't know you could do that with dies. Awesome. If you're looking for organization ideas, Tiffany at Scrap Rack has great organization challenge starting Tuesday. I took it earlier this year and it was amazing. Even though I didn't buy a scrap rack, I still got a lot of great ideas on how to better organize my stuff. So much easier to find it now. Here's the link http://thescraprack.easystorecreator.com/2013-Fall_Get-Organized_Challenge-Tiffany-Spaulding-The-Scraprack-Tiffanize.asp

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day when you take time to comment - thank you!